Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Wildstar Desert Environment (Cory Loftis Concept), UDK


So a friend brought to my attention that I should probably post my WIP project on here as well as Polycount, so here it is.

I came to the realization a while ago that my portfolio was entirely lacking in the environment department. So I went on the hunt and ended up deciding on actualizing one of concepts that Cory Loftis generated for Wildstar:


I'm hoping that I end up doing it justice. : )

Some goals I have for this project:

1) Generate a quality environment for my portfolio.
2) Get better at generating hand-painted tileable textures.
3) Various UDK learnins' (vertex color in engine, texture blending, particle effects, etc.)

There are others, but I feel like those are the primary ones.

I've generated a prioritized asset list for the scene (subject to change):

PRIORITY--1:
Terrain Textures:

Sand
Cracked Clay
Rock (same as monolithic stones)

Plants:
Palm-esque Bulb Tree
Palm Tree (combine or build this in conjunction with Palm Bulb Tree; build Bulb version, remove bulb for regular Palm version)
Red Flowers (primarily on bones)
Viney Red Fire Flowers
Medium Cactus
Large Cactus (huge thorns)

Rocks:
Large Monolithic Rocks
Small Rocks

Bones:
Skull Variant 1
Vertebrae Variant 1
Rib Variant 1 (scale and adjust to create multiple variants)

Other:
Skybox
Rocky Billboard (for background)


PRIORITY--2:
Terrain Textures:

Moss/Lichen

Plants:
Bare, Scraggly Tree
Spindly Cactus

Rocks:
Boulder Variant 1

Bones:
Skull Variant 2
Dorsal Spike


PRIORITY--3:
Terrain Textures:
Dirt
Rocky Dirt

Plants:
Small Yellow Ground Flowers
Small Tube Plants (next to fire flowers)
Small Bulbous Cactus (or modify medium cactus to use for this as well)

Rocks:
Boulder Variant 2

Bones:
Skull Variant 3
Rib Variant 2
Tail Bone

Other:
Wood Rope Bridge


With that asset list made, the first thing I did was block out each of the Priority 1 assets (the little rectangle on the right is player scale, I modified it a bit from the concepts established gargantuan scale):


From there I picked three assets to make first, a "small" asset (the large cactus, a "medium" asset (the bulb palm tree), and a "large" asset (one of the monolithic stones). On top of this I started noodling on the first terrain texture, cracked clay.

Here are the shots of the Large Cactus as of now:

Hi-Poly

Poly Paint

Low Poly Texture Progress

Low Poly in UDK

Textures

Palm Bulb Progress:

Hi Poly

Poly Paint

Low Poly in UDK

Textures so far...

I'm going to use the bottom right corner for the trunk tile. Similar to the set up I used on the cactus map.

Here is where I'm at on the terrain texture that I started

Haven't started on the large monolithic stone yet.

Still trying to work out a plan of attack since I've never tackled a huge rockface like that before.

Anyways, I just wrapped up my thesis artifact, so now I can dedicate more time to this project. : )

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

-Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment